I have been wanting to try to make flat breads for a while now, but never found the courage to buy and use yeast. This was the perfect opportunity! I even went so far to tell him that I would try to make my own pizza sauce. He was a bit hesitant for me to do all that work, especially since I had told him I was always nervous when trying out completely homemade dishes that I've previously thrown together using store-bought semi-homemade ingredients, but he humored me.
This was a great learning experience for me because usually I try to find quick ways to make a healthy and yummy meal but with this I had to take my time and not take as many shortcuts as I normally do. I followed the instructions for the packet of Fleischmann's yeast and was extremely patient with my dough. I threw together my tomato paste, stewed tomatoes and numerous herbs and spices for my sauce and let it simmer for a good length of time. I also shredded my own mozzarella cheese, cut up numerous veggies and cooked up pork sausage, which incidentally I was able to turn into Italian pork sausage with little effort.
And the result -- SUCCESS! We had the best pizzas either of us could have asked for! The crust was perfect, the sauce was hearty and our toppings completed the masterpieces.
Broccoli made a traditional pepperoni and sausage pizza with provolone and mozzarella cheese and I went for the healthy veggie alternative with peppers, onions, tomatoes, zucchini and crushed red pepper.
Because apparently I was thinking more about eating and less about my camera, I didn't get pictures before we cut into them, I do however have pics of the leftovers --
| The "Broccoli" |
| The "Lindsay" |
Like my Dad told me a few weeks ago when I made homemade blueberry muffins, you never realize what you're missing using store-bought ready made ingredients until you go back to homemade items and then there is no comparison. Now I'm wondering how many other dishes have I cooked over time that I can go back and make my own. It will have to be an ongoing weekend project, but I just may take on this mission.
No comments:
Post a Comment