Saturday, October 27, 2018

Three Weeks!!

Declan turned three weeks old yesterday and I keep thinking to myself, how is this little boy three weeks old already!?! He's so sweet and so lovable and just melts my heart every single day. We had his two week old checkup on Monday and it was the first time Declan and I attempted an outing by ourselves. I may have driven like an old lady going to and from the pediatrician but we made it with no issues. At our visit, Declan was still underweight and hadn't gotten back to his birth weight so the doctor suggested more feedings and more ounces of formula and a follow up visit for Friday.

It was a bit disheartening that my little guy still hadn't gotten back up to birth weight. I've tried very hard to breastfeed and it still wasn't enough to help put the pounds on our boy. Even in my few short weeks as a mom, I want to do everything I can for my son. I haven't given up breastfeeding but I know now that he needs more than just me so I'm pumping as I can and feeding mostly formula bottles and then breast milk when I get enough pumped out. Thankfully, my pediatrician has been extremely helpful and supportive which has made me feel like less of a breastfeeding failure. I'm also still keeping out hope that my supply will pick up with eating more calories and drinking more water. Breastfeeding is best according to the experts and I agree, but I also had to accept that I have to do whatever it takes to make sure my baby thrives and sometimes that means more than just breastfeeding.

We had our follow up pediatrician appointment on Friday morning and I'm happy to report that Declan finally got over the hump and got back to his birth weight and then some! Declan weighed 7 lbs 7.8 oz on Friday morning and that was even with a few urgent diaper changes at the doctor's office. Other than the weight issue, he's a perfectly happy and healthy little boy, which makes me so happy! Our next appointment will be for his one month checkup.

Thursday evening D's mom and step-dad came to town to visit and meet Declan. They are staying through the weekend and have helped us with a few unexpected things that have popped up around our house. Tonight my mom and step-dad are coming out and we're having a dinner here at our house. I was lucky to have everyone here yesterday so that I could also get out to grocery shop without having to take Declan out in the cold, rainy weather.

Other than that, our week was filled with playing on the new play mat we set up, reading books, listening to music and taking some much needed naps.



No comments: