Tuesday, October 08, 2013

The man of many hats

After my Sunday night post, I somehow got a stomach bug that caused me non-stop pain for a good portion of Monday.  For the first time in 8+ years, I had to call into work...or I guess I should say, D emailed our boss because I couldn't even move to send a quick message out.  She was understanding but I still don't like having to call in last minute so I felt bad.  As much as I thought I could try to come in, I realized it would be impossible.
Once I could at least hold my head up on Monday afternoon, I decided to check my email and at least get a head start on tackling all of my weekend notes and determine where I sat for my return on Tuesday.  The thing about  my job is that part of it has to be taken care of immediately by someone our group whether I'm there or not and the rest of it can wait until I personally make it into the office.  I'm lucky in the fact that D is one of my backups for the things that need to be handled ASAP.  He sent me a text about halfway through the morning and told me not to worry (which I would have since that's just me) because he got all of my info entered into the system.  It put my mind at ease enough to know that at least half of my 60+ new emails were handled. Monday night things took a turn for the worst and I have been hospitalized to get rid of the GI infection causing me so much pain.
People sometimes ask us how we are able to work together and still maintain a personal relationship.  It's actually been pretty easy so far.  We are only co-workers at work and while we work well together, we don't show favoritism to each other.  At home we try to put work behind us as much as possible.  But, it is nice to know that when I need help when I'm feeling under the weather, D takes care of me both at home and at the office.

2 comments:

Shell said...

You need to take more sick days, my friend!

Glad you seem to be doing well despite the awful stomach bug. Get better!

Lindsay said...

Thanks lady! I was released from the hospital this afternoon (Weds) and ordered to take it easy the next few days, so I am slowing down whether I want to or not.