Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Another adult step

My Bro, the master of networking, passed my name on to a financial advisor thinking I could use some help with financial planning.  (You know, because I'm rich, or so that's what Bro says.)  Since I'm nearing 30 and I have a new job, new car and another exciting event in the works (stay tuned!) and overall I'm hitting a different stage in my life, I decided maybe it was a good idea to meet and see what they could offer me.  So at lunch today, I met with the financial reps. 
I actually went through this process a few years ago and wasn't impressed by the guy who hounded me to buy this huge cash value life insurance plan (and then kept calling me over and over again when I declined it), but I decided to check out the other options they offered and wanted to get some sort of idea of what they could do with my old 401k.  I came prepared as my typical type-A self would do and had my monthly/yearly budget calculated out in an spreadsheet and I also brought my last quarterly statement from my 401k with me. And of course, I explained my theories for saving, retirement and the economic future in general.  After nearly an hour of getting to know me, I left the guys to do what they do best, work on a financial plan for me.  I don't know if they will be able to come up with something I will agree with or not, but its nice to be able to open my eyes to other financial and wealth management products.  By the way, they were impressed that I knew about many of the products they mentioned.  I guess my education and years in the financial world actually do help every now and again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Adulthood strikes!