Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Tax Season

This is the time of year when I have friends come out of the woodwork.  People I barely keep up with through the rest of the year, find me and usually have all sorts of fun tax questions. 
No, I'm not a CPA, I'm a few hours short of sitting for the exam and no, right now, I'm not planning on going back to school and getting those hours.  But, like I tell most of them -- yes, I understand and can complete simple tax returns; yes, I'm up on many of the tax law changes (thanks to the info provided by our Company's auditors) and yes, because I actually do process payroll, I do have a decent knowledge of withholdings and pre and post-tax benefits.

Perhaps the funniest lines ever said to me came from one of our department heads this afternoon.  Now mind you, I have worked with this Director nearly every single day for 5+ years and today when he called me down to his office, he told me that some of my co-workers have mentioned that I know about taxes and that he may need my help.  Then, in all seriousness he states, "I had no idea you were an Accountant." 

I didn't know what to say so I just smiled and nodded.  But, I'm thinking, "dude, I've been with the company 5 years and I wear a badge with both my name and title on it.  A badge that your department created for me because it's a requirement for one of our certifications.  Not only that, we communicate regularly via email, in person and by phone.  I didn't just make up that cute little signature that is attached to all of my emails just for the fun of it."

If that were the case, I would have given me a title like Office Party Planner because it sounds so much more exciting and fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're an accountant?!

-Bro

Lindsay said...

Crazy, isn't it?!?
Guess that's a huge load off your mind, especially since I helped you with your taxes a few weeks ago.
At least you know I wasn't just some random chick e-filing your returns. Ha!