Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Shrove Tuesday

As a kid, we always had pancakes for dinner on Shrove Tuesday.  I never knew why, but I've kept that tradition as I entered adulthood.  Finally this year as I was contemplating what type of pancakes I wanted to make, I decided to look up why the heck I've continued to do this year after year. 

According to Wikipedia,
"In the United Kingdom and many other countries, the day is often known as Pancake Day. Making and eating such foods was considered a last feast with ingredients such as sugar, fat and eggs, whose consumption was traditionally restricted during the ritual fasting associated with Lent."


My family was English born and bred!  Now it makes plenty of sense!!  I did make my pancakes again tonight, but this time with a healthy twist -- oatmeal and vanilla protein powder.  Pretty good if I do say so and my Grandma would be proud I've had my pancakes! 
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's Fastnacht Day out here..never thought of it being local....

Lindsay said...

Ooooh, I just searched that on Wikipedia! Those sound and look yummy and I just may have to add those to my Shrove Tuesday tradition as well.
I just figured everyone ate pancakes until I asked Coco if she was having pancakes for dinner tonight and she looked at me like I was crazy. She's polish though and I guess more of a Pączki fan.