Friday, July 13, 2007

Rollin' down the river

There is nothing better to do on a nice summer day than go floating down one of Missouri's rivers. And after being excited for weeks Tuesday finally rolled around and we were able to take our much anticipated trip down the Meramec. Let me tell you...this was one great trip. My bro is an awesome float trip coordinator and we had a blast! It started at sunrise on Tuesday morning -- actually before that because they were banging on my apartment door at 5:30 am. I had been awake for all of 2 minutes when the clan came walking through my living room. I got ready as fast as I could and we were on the road to Steelville by 5:50. The whole car ride everyone was cracking jokes, especially Ryan who had me in stitches much of the trip with all of his antics. We made great time and missed much of the rush hour traffic and because of that we decided to stop for breakfast at the Hardee's in Cuba. Munching on our breakfast sandwiches and hash browns we all talked about what we were expecting out of this trip. Armed with the directions to the floating outfitter, we got back on the road and finished the last half and hour of our trek. We made it there with an extra hour to spare so after we registered and bought a few hats (I was one dork that forgot to pack that before we left St. Louis), we parked the car and got all of our gear out. Finally at a few minutes to 9, the van came and picked us up and drove us to our starting point.

The kid driving the van obviously knew the roads like the back of his hand and he had me freaked a few times going up and down the hills. Ryan continued to crack jokes and had this guy laughing the entire time he was driving through town. Finally he dropped us off and unloaded all of our gear out of the van. He put the raft halfway in the river and we put all of the coolers and bags and paddles in and 4 of 6 of us decided to sit in the raft. The van driver was laughing his butt off as my bro and Kyle went to put the rest of the raft in the river and offered one simple piece of advice....it might be best if everyone got out of the raft so that it wouldn't scrap the rocks and would go into the water a little easier. So we gave the raft a running start and all jumped in and then tried to paddle our tails off to get going. The first attempt at paddling was not a successful one and we were doing 360s down the river but we definitely gave everyone watching us quite a show.

The river wasn't moving much and most of the time we had to paddle to get anywhere. With Captain Ryan leading the crew though we were able to make some progress although we did have a few paddling mishaps now and again. The river was almost totally empty from other floaters and we continued to joke and sing as we traveled downstream. About 11:30 we decided to pull over a small rock bank and we had lunch. My bro ordered awesome deli sandwiches and we had a picnic lunch right alongside the river.

Perhaps the funniest thing from the trip was when Patrick fell out of the raft and Ryan had to "rescue" him from the river. Patrick had his soda around his neck in a coolie cup and he leaned back to take a drink and fell out of the raft. Well my bro being the hero that he is leaped across the raft to grab him because Patrick thought he was in deep water. Not hearing Magen saying, "guys...the water is only a half a paddle deep," Ryan continued to struggle to get Patrick back in the raft. He wasn't letting one of his men fall victim to the river and finally both boys were back in the raft and trying to recover from a silly, silly scene. I laughed the rest of the trip when I thought about the slip and the recovery and all of the other jokes that came about because of it.

We continued to paddle and a short while later we were at our take out spot. The official time for a 10 mile float in a 10 man raft for this 6 person crazy crew....4 hours and 15 minutes. I have never floated that fast in a raft but we paddled like idiots and it paid off. We brought everything to shore and packed the car and were on our way back to St. Louis in nothing flat. After stopping for gas outside of Cuba, it was decided that I would drive back to my apartment. I didn't mind, but it wasn't my car so I was a little tense, especially since a Crown Victoria is much much larger than my little Mitsubishi Lancer, but I did a fairly good job getting us back.

Everyone just chilled at my apartment once we got back. It was a crazy day and it was nice to just sit back and relax. We ordered pizza and watched "I Love The 80s" on VH1, which was a little weird for me because I felt so old compared to the rest of them considering they were born after 1987. It was a lot of fun though and I do believe this is going to be an annual trip for us. I owe a big thanks to my bro for getting everything organized and buying all of the food and for buying my hat down at the country store. Thanks bro...you are awesome and also a bit dorky for putting together your spreadsheet (like brother, like sister, huh? ha!), but I love ya anyway! (Seriously though, I probably would have put together a spreadsheet too.)

The rest of the week flew by and considering all of the adventure I had on Tuesday, I've decided that I needed a low-key Wednesday through Friday. I don't have big weekend plans yet either but that's ok because there is always something to do around here. But right now, I think I'm going to read and clear my head for a bit. Have a great evening and an awesome weekend! :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I have my way (which I usually do), this float trip will be an annual thing. And we're gonna tie Patrick's ass to the boat next time.

Lindsay said...

I definitely think it should be an annual thing. I had so much fun out on the river! My cheeks hurt from laughing so much!

You're a good captain too! :)

Anonymous said...

I believe I made a nice figurehead for the raft. B)

Lindsay said...

Yes you did. Hey, I got my pictures back from the trip...they are hilarious! I got a few good shots of you as the "figurehead."

I got a picture CD so that you could copy some of the pictures if you wanted to.

Anonymous said...

I still need to find ways to use up the pictures on our camera.

Lindsay said...

Well if you come over again before summer ends and we get to go swimming , bring it with you and I'll take pictures of you all around the pool.

I'm busy the next two weekends but we can plan a little get together again sometime after that.

Anonymous said...

Don't tell me when you're free. I'll show up whenever I damn well please. I have a key, you know.

Lindsay said...

Yes, but can you find the right place to get into?!? My neighbors don't like it when you try to get into their apartments. :)