Saturday, June 10, 2006

"Good Things Come to Those Who Wait" Pt. 2

This morning was a reality check for me. M, S and myself went downtown for The Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure. It didn't hit me until we were down there and walking with 65,000 other people that breast cancer affects more people than you can imagine. It was sad seeing "In Memory Of" on the back of t-shirts and seeing how many women are currently battling the disease. But, I will say I was very proud to see people lending their support to such a great cause. I think it was a cathartic experience for S too since she has been in remission for nearly 2 years and I'm glad I was able to be there for my friend. I definitely plan on participating for years to come.

As for everything else that has happened since my last entry...hmm...let's see. My mom and step-dad left for Hawaii a week ago to work on their house. It's been a bigger problem than the expected, but I've done what I can for them here so they can focus on that mess. I would have loved to go out there and spent some time in paradise but my job just wouldn't allow for it right now. Hopefully I'll make it out there soon though for a little R & R.
Last Sunday I was able to go to the Cardinals-Cubs game down at Busch. I took my grandma with me and we had a great time. The Cardinals ended up winning that game after losing the other two in the series. And even though Pujols was out because of an injury, I was able to see my other favorite player who now plays for the Cubs, John Mabry. He came in to hit in the 7th or 8th inning.

The rest of the week went pretty well. I'm finally starting to feel comfortable with the changes we've made over the last few weeks with procedures and financial issues and most of all receivables. While numbers are not exactly where they need to be, I was finally able to get some of the older stuff from before I took on this job collected. Like J said to me last night when I talked to him while I was out with the work crowd, "good things come to those who wait." If he only knew how true that is for so many situations I've been in lately.

Like I mentioned we went out last night after work and I had a lot of fun like normal. We went up to Syberg's because Deep Six was playing plus there is always a reason for us to party on a Friday night. It ended up being the usual bunch going out and C joined us for a bit as well as our former co-worker and fellow party girl D. Perhaps the coolest part of the night happened right before I left. D and I went to go freshen up in the bathroom before she left and I decided to go back in and see who was still in the bar. Well I walked back into the doors and before I got a foot in, the lead singer, drummer and bass player all stopped me and told me that they were taking a survey and wanted to know what 3 songs I wanted to hear. Well, being a little out of it, I didn't know. I love the band and whatever they wanted to play was fine with me and I told them that, but they wanted my opinion, so I stood there and thought about it and talked with them for awhile. The bass player still reminds me so much of Josh and he's got that magnetic personality that just makes you want to like him right off of the bat, the drummer and the lead singer are the same way also. In fact, I ended up talking to the lead singer for like 15 minutes. I found out the scoop on the band and where they'll be playing in the next few weeks and what kind of songs they are working on to add to their show. It was very cool and so unlike me to continue to talk with people I don't know without thinking twice about what I'm asking or talking about. Actually at that point everyone else I was with was long gone and on their way home so I figured why not talk and get to know these guys a little better. Heck, I'm on their website dancing from the last time I saw them perform at Syberg's so why not get to know them a little more. I ended up talking to them until they went back on stage for their next set and heard them get started and since I had to be up at the crack of dawn this morning for the race, I left to get home. I wouldn't have minded staying but with everyone else gone already I felt it was probably good for me to go also. I'll be there for their entire show the next time though! I think I'm becoming a groupie, or maybe I can be a backup singer/dancer for them... I'll run that by them next time!

4 comments:

Tom the Hockey Guy said...

DON'T BECOME A GROUPIE!!!!!!! Look what good that's done my friend, Kristi (hahaha)

Lindsay said...

Why not become a groupie?!? I don't know what it's done to Kristi, but this band is awesome and they are extremely nice guys otherwise. Maybe they'll be playing somewhere when you're in town - then you'll understand why I think they are so great.

Anonymous said...

I question their greatness, based on some of your musical tastes.

Lindsay said...

You'd be proud of me. When they asked what 3 songs I wanted to hear...the first song I gave them was AC/DC "Back In Black." Now tell me I'm not cool!

They're working on that one...and they'll play it for me the next time. ;)