I'm going to vent here because at this point in time with so much going on, I haven't had very much time to catch up with friends and well, Dustin is tired of hearing all of my complaints regarding this topic and Shell, well this is too long to type in a Telegram message, so here we go...
I have never gotten married before, nor do I plan to do this more than once in my life and with that being said, I think of August 15, 2015 as our day and that people should be catering to us that day. It is the only day out of my 32 years of life, that I expect to be top priority, along with my soon to be new husband. I don't feel like my request puts me into a "Bridezilla" category because my requests are not extreme. I'm a fairly simple girl. I've taken necessary measures to plan this wedding and have included most of our families and some of our friends throughout the process.
But as we're nearly 2 and a half weeks away from the big day, family members seem to feel like I have nothing going on but to cater to their every whim. They would be wrong.
Now is not the time to present requests to me regarding such outlandish items like bringing a food processor to the wedding and making sure they have gravy and A-1 sauce because you just had bariatric surgery. I'm sorry, if that's such a big deal, then maybe you should take responsibility for this beforehand.
It is also not the time for me to make sure that my hairstylist can do your up-do with extensions and match your hair color exactly with products they have on hand. Maybe you should contact the salon with the phone number, email address or website that I have provided to you when I asked everyone if they wanted to set up appointments.
When I formally sent out invitations with pre-addressed stamped return envelopes, I wanted all RSVP cards returned by the July 18th deadline. Whether you figured you would be attending because you are immediate family and you didn't need to return the card because "we would just know" you'd be there, you'd be wrong. I wouldn't have wasted so much money on stamps for you not to return it.
I also do not appreciate you deciding at the last minute (ie, today) that you are changing the number of guests now coming to the wedding. There is a reason I put a deadline on the RSVP card a week before the actual due date because I had to pay the venue for our final headcount. Did you know I paid $50 a plate for you and your guests and now that you decided to decrease your family count, I'm out at least $50? If not more, if your entire family decides to not show up.
It would be one thing if all of these shenanigans were happening and members of our families were actually paying for our wedding and then made these special requests but all of this is coming from immediate family members who haven't pitched in a dime nor have they offered to help us with anything.
Besides my parents who have done more than anything to help us with our house maintenance along with giving us some money to buy essential household items and the decorations handled by both my mom and step-mom, we've handled everything.
It's pretty sad that we're hosting our rehearsal dinner at our home the night before our wedding and the family that has offered to help is D's sister and cousin, both who have had babies in the past year. Two people who have their hands full with small children but are going to make the drive and come early to help us with the last minute preparations. And the other person offering to help is my childhood friend Shell who's flying all the way in from New Zealand for our wedding. That's a huge sacrifice and undertaking in itself!
It's just astonishing to me that others can not make any sort of effort to lessen the stress but then comment, "you two have experienced 3 of the most stressful life changes in just a few months time." Yes we have and yes it's been more than we could handle at times but somehow we've gotten through it, just D and me.
So, pardon me if I'm not always chipper and I don't answer every phone call or text sent within 30 seconds or I seem like I am not being helpful to your every whim, I would like to think that August 15th is my day and I'm allowed to be just a bit more self-centered for at least a few hours.
At least D has been able to make me laugh in spite of all of the stress. I threatened to cancel the STL festivities and hop a plane to Vegas to get married after receiving one of the numerous requests.
His response, "It's not too late to go to Vegas again! But if we do can we go to the Hoover Dam again? It would then be our dam proposal and dam wedding. lol I just want you to be my dam wife and us to be so dam happy together! Love you (so dam much)!!"
The Hoover Dam might just be our dam honeymoon after all is said and done!
No comments:
Post a Comment