Sunday, May 15, 2011

Very Impressive

I went to the gym this morning, like I do most mornings, and got into my zone so I could get my long Sunday workout in.  Saturdays and Sundays are usually my big workout days as I try to make up for the lack of gym time I have during the week.  I also try to work harder on the muscles that may not have gotten full attention during my early morning before-work workouts.
This morning, I finished my cardio and proceeded to pull out all of the items needed for my core workout.  I did my supermans with 12 lb weights, planks, crunches, bicycles and push-ups (boy-style, not girl) non-stop for 3 full reps.  Overall, it's about a 15-20 minute routine, nothing too out of the ordinary for me.  I've actually gotten pretty accustomed to this routine or a similar one at least once a week and it (along with the combo of all of my other workouts) has left me with a fairly flat mid-section.  I finished my routine this morning and went to put all of the equipment away and while doing so, someone else in the gym came up to me and asked if I was preparing for some sort of fitness competition.  I told him, "no, I'm just doing my regular workout." 
He about fell on the floor from shock that this was my normal workout.  He told me he was a trainer at another gym and had been observing me doing my workout and he couldn't believe how intense it was and it was highly impressive for someone my size.  He also told me that even though he's a trainer, he wouldn't have been able to go non-stop through my whole routine.
I had to smile.  I have worked my tail off to get to the point where I'm actually impressing other people in the gym.  Not so long ago, had you asked me to put together an intense workout, I wouldn't have had the slightest idea what to do for one and secondly, I probably would have given up because it was "too hard" on my body.  Now, I have other in-shape people watching me and seeing all of the hard-work I put into staying fit and healthy.
Needless to say, I was quite proud of myself and it made my arms, chest and back workout afterwards seem like a piece of cake.

No comments: