My afternoon was filled with meetings from 3 until 5:30 today and you know what.....I finally realize that I have found my place in the world. I'm sure most of you have seen me as the quiet, passive, studious girl that does what she is told and tries to stay in the mold that I've created for myself. As of today, that is no more!!!
Let me replay the situation for you:
Last Thursday I received a phone call from one of our customers....it appears as though our Operations department put their account on hold because we were having a hard time with contracts and loads, etc. Well, their Operations department called me and made me aware of the situation. Why...I'm a little unsure....I mean I have tried to resolve some of the issues, but some of the things are out of my hands, but I listened to their side of the story and then I went to our VP of Operations. I didn't think it was right to suspend their account because we were as much at fault for the situation as they were and since I had been a point of contact for payment and billing, they felt I should know about the situation and see what I could do to help them. I about lost it though with our VP because of a lack of procedures with his people and I made him aware of the problems I saw within our firm. Well, this week was the big Ops meeting for his department and he requested that both myself and the billing department get involved with the meeting and explain what exactly we need to be a successful leader in the industry. Of course, I was nervous as anything. I feel like I know my job, but I'm not always comfortable trying to tell people in another department what they need to do in order to make things flow correctly. I was the one to start off the meeting today and I must say....not only did I sound intelligent....I believe I have made a difference. I had the attention of the entire Ops department in our office as well as all of Laredo on the phone and I did not stumble once!!! If this would have been two years ago, I would have lost it and been so nervous that I would have not been able to talk. I think I'm finally starting to fit into who I was supposed to be years ago. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would take the leadership role in my position after only a year and run with it. I just hope I didn't tick off my co-workers too much. Everything I said, I said with respect and maturity and I believe I came across that way. Not only that, but I get to throw my ideas into flowcharts and forms and anything else I feel that is imperative for growth. That is f-in' awesome!!!
To top off my afternoon, Josh called me and told me he got a 95% on his Historiography article review and that just made my day.
I'm so full of energy right now and I feel like I could just go out and party....too bad I have to get up for work in the morning early otherwise you'd find me out at one of my favorite dancing spots. Oh well, I guess I'll just settle for creating a flowchart of our transportation customers! I'm such a brown-noser! HA!
Hope everyone has a good weekend! I'm working on Saturday and then Sunday is laundry and grocery-shopping day. Woo hoo!
No comments:
Post a Comment