Sunday, February 05, 2012

Impressed by my skillz

Yesterday I went to visit my brother and do his taxes.  I've done his Federal and Illinois state taxes ever since he started working.  I've also done my own taxes every year since my first job at Claire's when I was 16 and while my taxes were simple back then, they're probably even easier now.
Granted, I also have hours of income tax classes (both individual and business tax) from my years in college as well as practical experience from volunteering for the IRS VITA program during my college days; so really, tax returns really don't scare me easily.

On my way out to my Bro's, I called my Mom just to check in and told her what I was up to and her first response was, "How do you know how to do Illinois state taxes?!?"
I proceeded to remind her that McKendree is located in the state of Illinois and I also had jobs in Illinois while I was in school and had to file non-resident tax returns for the state so that I could get credit in Missouri for paying state tax somewhere.  She was impressed that I could handle completing both Illinois and Missouri state tax returns.  Yep, I'm that awesome -- I may live in Missouri, but this girl is a multi-state tax aficionado.

No comments: