Last year some of the guys went to Louisville for the Kentucky Derby, this year the trip was postponed because a wedding fell on the same weekend as the derby trip.
Since girls weren't invited, last year I gave the guys some money to make a few bets for me just for fun. Mr. Hot Stuff was my favorite (resulting from an inside joke) but it didn't really matter since long shot, Mind That Bird shocked everyone and got the win. I remember watching the TV coverage and catching jockey Calvin Borel so emotional when they interviewed him after the race, saying he had faith in the horse he was jockeying and even though Mind That Bird had 50-1 odds, he thought Mind That Bird could pull through and beat the field.
This year, had the trip been a go, I'm not sure who I would have bet on...ok, I take that back, I probably would have had them put money on the horse with the funniest name. It may have been Super Saver or one of the other 19 entered, depends on what I was feeling when I handed over my money.
But, I can say for sure, that if the trip is on next year and I have the chance to place a bet, I don't care what horse Calvin Borel is jockeying, I am picking that one! Borel won his 3 derby in 4 years this year. Incredible! Whatever it takes to be a successful jockey, he definitely possesses it.
No comments:
Post a Comment