Perhaps the greatest advice I have received in the past 3 days was that line and I believe with that little bit of encouragement, I was able to prove that I'm serious about my job and I do have a clue as to what is going on. It all started on Tuesday morning when I got an email from my buddy J down in Laredo thanking me and telling me he was in chocolate chip heaven with the cookies that M and I sent down the day before. Of course I emailed him back and let him know that it was not a problem and we enjoyed baking them and I appreciated his friendship. Small talk went on through email for a bit and then I decided that since my meeting was at 4, I needed to get on the ball and get everything sorted out and organized for that and I figured that since he had helped me in the past, J wouldn't mind helping me out a little bit again so then we started emailing about customers and the meeting that afternoon. I told him that I was extremely nervous, especially with the little bit of experience that I had and having to try to explain my strategies to 3 other people in the meeting and then have them help me determine what the next steps should be for some of our deadbeats all while taking down minutes to report back to the President of the company. The next email I get is that line and only that line, "grab it by the horns and run with it." So of course, I had to email him back and ask what exactly he meant....come to find out after talking to him and a few of my other work friends, I exude some sort of confidence in my job and while I may not have all of the experience in the world, I am serious about it and everyone sees that. I was actually quite shocked. I have never found myself to be a person with very much confidence, I have been a wallflower all of my life because I don't ever feel good enough to take that next step. Perhaps I'm changing or perhaps I just have numerous personalities and I adapt for the situation and maybe at work the stronger personality comes out. But one thing is for sure, whether he is 1,110 miles away or down the hall J (like M) knows exactly what to do to calm my nerves and I am truly grateful for that. I definitely owe him a drink (or numerous drinks) the next time he comes into town.
Yesterday ended up going fairly smooth and even though it was Wednesday it was a lot calmer than many of the other Wednesdays I've experience lately. Today was a pretty good day as well. I had a few minor issues to attend to this morning but after that, I was able to focus my time on many of the things we talked about in our meeting. C called me to tell me that he was working on the 4 accounts I gave him to take care of while he was down in Laredo and he had a few of the others gathering information that would be helpful to our operations in accounting and billing as well. This afternoon I was going to town on researching loads and customer information and I got one of the nicest emails. It was a friendship email and it actually left me kind of speechless after that. It had been passed around our company but I never expected to get it from the person that I did. In fact, M and I were joking that I should send it to him but I didn't want to bother him since I spent Tuesday racking his brain and taking some valuable time out of his day by emailing him. Anyway, if you haven't figured it out yet, I got the email from J which was an extremely sweet thing for him to do, especially since not everyone was special enough to get the email. I actually felt kind of important to him. :)
Anyway, tomorrow is Friday again and I'm sure I'll have something going on...I hardly ever have a boring day at work. I don't know what is going on after work or this weekend, but M and I will figure something out....we don't let a Friday get by without a plan for some sort of fun. Hope everyone has a good weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment