Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Well, where do I start?

It's been over a week since I have had a chance to update and it's not because there is a lack of things going on in my life. On the contrary...I have been working about 55 hours a week and trying to get ready for Christmas and have a little fun in the meantime. First off with work -- the last two weeks have been the most stressful weeks I have had in a long time. Besides taking care of my regular job, I have also been going down to the office in Southern Missouri to learn billing since our billing department decided to turn in their resignation a few weeks ago. Last Thursday and Friday ended up being a complete blur and I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to show the two new people that willl be starting in a few weeks everything that they need to know to take over these jobs. I know there is an easier way to a lot of what they have been doing down in our other office but it's figuring everything out the way they have been doing it and then coming back to our office and trying to tweak it a bit. If that was the only thing I had to do....heck no I wouldn't have a problem, but besides that I have my usual routine as well as finishing up projections for the end of the year and getting everything ready for 2006.
Last Wednesday was a good example of how frustrating things can get sometimes. I was minding my own business, knowing what needed to be done before I headed out on Thursday for the other office and about an hour into my day, everything changed. I felt like I was running around the office trying to meet deadlines and feeling like I was falling farther and farther behind because more problems were arising. At one point, trying to get to the fax machine, J turns around and says, "smile and cheer up - you're doing a great job." That did make it a little better, especially since he flashed that killer smile at me. :)
Speaking of J, he headed for our Laredo terminal last weekend. M, C, J and I all went out for one last hurrah last Friday night and we had a blast. It's going to be hard knowing that we all won't be here to party like that for at least a year or so, but we had fun while it lasted. Dr. Zhivegas was playing at the bar and we spent most of the night out on the dance floor shaking our stuff. It was sad to see the night end.

Also last week was my company Christmas party on Wednesday night. Not a good night for a Christmas party when you have to make a two and a half hour drive the next morning, but still it was a lot of fun. I spent part of my evening talking to the owner of the company about ideas I have for the next year and he spent the rest of the time telling me of things that they have in the works. Most of my co-workers were making fun of me for talking with the big boss for as long as I did, but it was really nice to get to talk to him considering he barely knows me and or what I exactly do for the company. I will say though that he was impressed with some of the ideas I had regarding payables, receivables, billing, financials, etc. I guess college did pay off! I have decided (in like the last 2 months or so) that I need to be more outgoing and work for what I want. I can't sit there and take a back seat role because I do have an important job and I need everyone's cooperation. I think eventually this new outlook will pay off for me. Who knows...I may have already wowed one person.

And finally because I need to get ready to pack my stuff for my little roadie tomorrow....I've spent whatever time I've had left over after work and partying to Christmas shop. Finally, I have everything bought and wrapped and all I have to do now is deliver them and that's what Saturday and Sunday are for. Saturday I'm driving out to my Dad's and spending Christmas Eve with my Dad's side of the family and then Sunday morning I get to drive back to St. Louis and spend it with my mom and step-dad for a few hours before heading over to my uncle's in Southern Illinois. It will be a busy day but a great time with my family. Hopefully everyone likes their presents too! Monday will be my day to relax....or bake cookies since I have promised to send a batch back into work for the fleet managers and a batch down to Laredo for the terminal. I'm such a nice person!

Anyway, I hope Santa is good to everyone. Merry Christmas to all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS CUZ!!!! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU ON SUNDAY!!

Anonymous said...

"Sunday morning I get to drive back to St. Louis and spend it with my mom and step-dad for a few hours"

Sounds like a good way to ruin Christmas.

Lindsay said...

Merry Christmas to you too Cuz! Hope Santa was good to you!!!

And Bro, no my Christmas wasn't ruined. Unlike you, I enjoy spending time with my family.

Anonymous said...

You're forgetting, they're no longer my family.