Many of you are unaware of the stress I have been faced with this week and rather than emailing everyone letting them know, I have decided to just post it on here. There is a reason why I have dedicated this post to my Grandpa. After falling earlier this year and breaking his arm, my Grandpa's health took a turn for the worse. We had been dealing with his declining health since about February and after having numerous bouts of pnuemonia, a hip replacement, a minor stroke and the start of Alzheimer's set in, my Grandpa passed away on Wednesday, November 16th in his sleep at the nursing home. This came as a complete shock to me and I have been a mess ever since I found out when I was getting ready for work that morning. The funeral was yesterday and really I don't know how I was able to make it through it. I guess just knowing that he was no longer suffering and in pain was a little bit of a help. I do have to hand it to my family, especially my Grandma who was tough as nails through all of this. She and my Grandpa were married 52 years and she was there for him every step of the way. If couples nowadays were as committed as she was to him, the divorce rates would be half as high as they are now.
Besides being the big baby I was throughout the last few days, I was also in charge of the picture memorial. I was very honored to be able to put together the photos. It brought back a lot of the good memories I had of family vacations and holidays and just regular time we got to spend together. I was also able to learn more about my family history which is one thing that I have been meaning to look into more when I had the time. It's horrible to have to put something like that off because of time constraints and really I have given a lot of thought to prioritizing everything in my life and making more time for family and friends and fun.
I do have to say that I am very appreciative for my job and all of my coworkers though too. They have lent me so much support over these last few days and I'm extremely grateful. I don't think I have ever worked at a place that has been so caring and considerate. The flowers that they sent personally to me were absolutely beautiful and I know my family was thankful to receive the plant as well. My 4 month anniversary was on Friday and to put so much effort into making sure that I was ok after such a short amount of time was very helpful.
I also have to say thanks to Josh who has been amazing as usual. I saw him last Sunday and updated him on the entire situation after going out to my Dad's and Grandma's the day before and I'm sure he figured something was coming. I called crying to him numerous times and he was able to calm me down and ease my mind a bit.
My brother was also a big help at the funeral home when I broke down, so he deserves a hug also. And Bro, I'm sure Grandpa would be proud of you as a pallbearer...you did a very honorable thing under so much stress.
So...that has been my week in a nutshell. I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to stay in touch with many people this week...hopefully the next few weeks will be better. The holidays are a time to come together as family and I hope that we are going to be able to do that this upcoming week.
One last thing - my deepest sympathy also goes out to Amanda. If you need anything, please get ahold of me. I know what you're going through right now too and I'm here for you even if we do live a few hours apart.
1 comment:
My thoughts are with you and your family. It's always a hard thing to lose a family member under any circumstance. But soon (if it hasn't happened already) the happy memories will over-take the sorrow you feel now. He may have been taken from you in a physical way. But nothing can ever take the memories. Be thankful that you have those!
Post a Comment